Old 09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Aries wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:15:47 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades thought a bit, then
had this to say:

AFAIK bindweed is poisonous to folk.

We were discussing ground elder.

Thank goodness I asked then - phew! Thank you.

Some forms of Ipomoea are eaten in the Far East, and they are fairly
closely related. I suspect that bindweed would only give you mild
indigestion. The families to watch out for are the Solanaceae and
the Fabaceae/Leguminosae/Papilonaceae - the potato and pea families.
A good 50% of them are deadly, despite the fact that a huge number
of food plants belong to them.

Also Apiaceae/Umbelliferae?

Search for previous threads on black nightshade (Solanum nigrum) to
get seriously confused between what is a food plant and what is a
poisonous weed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--