Old 09-11-2002, 02:22 AM

Default Indian Strawberry

JLee wrote:

Anyone has got this plant at the moment? Mine died many years back and I
have been looking for a replacement since.

Jeremy,

I presume you mean Duchesnia indica aka D. fresnii/Fragaria indica.
Its a diminutive strawberry relative with pleasant, short-lived,
bright yellow flowers followed by small, glistening red strawberries
that look enticing, but have no flavour. It is primarily an
ornamental plant, sometimes used in hanging baskets or as ground cover
in milder regions of the country.

It is almost a weed down here and constantly attempts to invade my
garden from the lane outside. I planted a single piece of Duchesnia
back in the early 1990's and had to get rid of it after a couple of
years, since it becomes too invasive in the very rich soil I maintain
for gingers and bananas.. It seeded itself about and spread to
outside the garden, from where it constantly attempts to re-invade.
Gardens that suffer regular frosts would have no such problem.

You are welcome to some pieces if you send an A5 sized SAE - mail me
on for details of my address.

David Poole
TORQUAY UK