Old 10-07-2005, 05:59 AM
leegilchrist leegilchrist is offline
Registered User

Question Need help with lawn installation plans

Hi gang,
I’ve just bulldozed a 1.3 acre piece of land (about 5,260 square meters), and want to plant grass over about an acre. I’ve never done anything with lawns before, other than mowing them. So I’m trying to take a macro look at things, and figure out my strategies.
I plan to put a modular (manufactured) home on the land, and sell it—hopefully within six months. I live in the state of Washington, west of the Cascade mountains. Very moderate summers, very moderate winters.
Preparing.
I’m assuming I’d better lay down a layer of topsoil. I’ll work with local nursery to figure out what’s best for this soil
Seeding
Again, I’ll work with local experts. Someone today mentioned hyro seeding. Is that a good method? (I guess I would hire that done, eh?)
Watering
I see some rotary sprinklers that will cover an area 8500 square feet (790 square meters), with a diameter of 106 feet (32 meters). I’m thinking that if I chain two of them together, I can water the whole acre in 3 settings. Does that strike you as a reasonable way to go? Are sprinkler hoses a better way to cover this large an area? Other methods?
Mowing
Should I do bag mowing, or just let the cuttings fall back on the lawn?

Comments or answers to any of these topics will be much appreciated. Or can you suggest other issues I should be addressing? Thanks.

Lee