Old 10-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Xinxin Shao

I am trying to remove phosphate too. Currently, I am using phos-x. After 1 week, I still got 1ppm phosphate. Are there anyone that can recommend a good phosphate remover without damage the plant and fish? BTW, you can buy phosphate test kit to test phosphate. It should be much cheaper than mail order test.
"Scott Far Thunder" wrote in message ...
Hau kolas..

I've been battling black beard and hair algae in a 29 gallon planted tank for some time now..and basically losing. I've tried to find fish to control it.. a. splendens, pl*co, CAE all basically ignored it; I've recently added some SAE that at least nibble on it. I've removed affected leaves and plants. I've been unable to find a phosphate test locally, got one through mail-order the other day and the readings from it are off the chart. the test goes from 0 -10 ppm. so, I'm thinking the aquarium must be out of balance to have accumulated such a high level of phosphate and thus the algae. A couple questions..what is the best way to minimize/eliminate/manage the high level of phosphates now; i.e. add more plants (are there certain types which utilize phosphate more readily than others?), chemical media (I'm looking at phosban, any feedback?), something else, or a combination? And hand-in-hand with that, the "best" way to manage for phosphate over the long run? Is there some other nutrient that should be added to enhance phosphate uptake? No CO2, seachem flourish excel instead; trace elements once a week. kH 6 gh 9 pH 7.0 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5-10ppm nitrates (tap water reads 5 ppm) 65-watt CF lighting 10 hours/day. Tank currently has approx. 20" of fish-load, and an infestation of MTS (I've pulled about 500 out of there over the last 8-9 weeks). Live plants are mixture of root and stem plants medium density. tap water reads approx 0.5ppm phosphate; feeding tetramin pro tropical crisps (analysis chart says 1.1% minimum phosphorous - is this high?) twice daily, fish consume immediately. any suggestions as to what I can do/should do and/or where I've gone wrong greatly appreciated. TIA

lila pilamaya
--
**FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW**