Old 10-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Mike Patterson

Default Adopted a turtle

Couple weeks ago a friend of my daughter asked if I'd take the red-ear
slider they got from someone else. I have a 15x25 pond averaging
around 20" deep, around 1,350 US gallons..

They were keeping this 7" turtle in a 10-gallon glass aquarium, I felt
sorry for it and said "yes".

The little booger seems happy enough, sunning on the rocks and
swimming around all over the place, but the first thing he did was
snip off all the leaves of a new lily I'd put in the day before. Today
I took the lily out and put it in the quarantine barrel pond.

Looks like he's taking bites out of several of the pickerel rush
leaves too, but I can tolerate that. Oddly, he's left the other lily
alone.

I have 7 large goldfish, 2 smallish koi, and about 20 small goldfish
that were born this spring. If the turtle is carnivorous I wish he'd
take some of the little goldfish. Maybe if I drop some tartar sauce in
the pond?

Mike in Sharpsburg, GA

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin