Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
undergroundbob undergroundbob is offline
Registered User

I think it's only fair to warn you just how stinking nettle manure really is. Yes, it's free and all natural and great for plants and generally a marvellous idea, which is why enthusiastically made some in spring. Light-hearted 'oh it smells a bit farmyardy' comments aside...

Never again.

It's not just that it smells...but that it smells so bad it will make you gag, a stench I would describe as being like a mix of the worst decay-ridden bad breath you've ever had the misfortune to come across and fully rotten cow manure. It hits you right in the gut, I nearly choked on it several times and I am by no means a delicate flower. Not only that, but the smell doesn't fade away for quite a while and will contaminate almost everything it touches. I wish someone had told me this, even though I probably would have ignored it. My advice - wear a clothes peg at all times, wear machine washable clothes when applying and apologise to any close neighbours who will wonder what you've killed and hidden in your garden.

Bob