Old 09-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Indian Strawberry

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 02:22:31 +0000,
wrote:

JLee wrote:

Anyone has got this plant at the moment? Mine died many years back and I
have been looking for a replacement since.

I presume you mean Duchesnia indica aka D. fresnii/Fragaria indica.

Gardens that suffer regular frosts would have no such problem.

I beg to differ. Fragaria indica is actually fairly hardy. I was
once scrambling up out of the bed of the Cowichan River and in a
crack in the canyon wall was a wee strawberryish-potentillaish
tuft of leaves. Oh, how sweet, I *must* have that cutie pie,
thought I. Little knowing.

Fast forward one growing season and F.i. is now six feet in
diameter from its single crown, and shows no signs of stopping.
It flowers, and the yellow gives its identity away. Hitchcock and
Cronquist "Flora of the Pacific Northwest" say it is widely
naturalized in the region. I dig it up, *very* carefully indeed,
and dispose of it before its invasive tendencies lead to a
complete takeover.

What's the weather like where I found it? Not especially cold,
but snow and frost are common in winter, as the site is well away
from sal****er.

So, please, think not that frost will keep this monster at bay.

I'm lucky. I got rid of mine before it was well settled in, but
it was pure luck I did so.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada