Old 09-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Selling Plants for charity

The message
from "Martin & Anna Sykes" contains these words:

My wife's nursery group is having a fund-raising fete. I was thinking of
donating some of the plants I've raised from cuttings. I have a few
questions:

1. Has anyone sold plants like this before. What sells best and what sort of
prices are reasonable?

There are usually two sorts of plants and two sorts of buyers; so if
you can, try to cater for both. The first group are plants that multiply
or are propagated so easily, people always have spares to get rid
of..things like alchemilla, hostas, montbretia, forsythia, flowering
currant, common herbs. Very popular with new gardeners who want lots of
easy reliable plants.Price them low; say 50 p, then everyone is happy;
new gardeners get a great start, and you're sure of getting rid of the
plants.

The other sort of buyer is the longterm, deeply hooked gardener on the
prowl for something they haven't got, or something a bit unusual. Often
donated by another keen gardener who has had a good germination of
unusual seeds, propagated a favourite, or is moving a larger plant to
make space. You can charge a bit more for them; I've paid up to £5 for a
choice seedling rhododendron but that's about my top limit at such
sales. What you want to avoid, is being left with a lot of stuff at the
end.

Non-gardeners will happily buy a tempting pretty potfull they can put by
the front door or on the kitchen windowsill, such as a single pot of
mixed herbs...say mint, chives, and sage; or pots of budding bulbs, or
polyanthus.

2. If the plants are from cuttings of plants I've bought from nurseries then
can I legally sell them?

Yes, unless the plant you bought carried a special label telling you
it's for licensed propagation only due to Plant Breeders Rights.(If you
look that up in the google archives for this group,Sacha will give the
best info; she's married to a nurseryman)

Janet