Old 09-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Jane Ransom

Default leaf mould

In article , Rob
writes
Hello all,
I want to try making some leaf mould and am in the process of collecting up
leaves around the garden. What I need to know is does it matter if there are
a few bits of twigs,stems and grass mixed in. These odd bits and pieces are
only a small amount. Will it make any overall difference to the finished
product? I know that you have to leave the gathered leaves for about a year
to compost.

Last year one of the speakers at our local horticultural society
recommended mixing a little green grass with the leaves. He reckoned it
speeded up the decomposition process!!!

We never bother to fish out any twigs - they help air circulation and
can always be fished out next year if they don't rot down

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,