Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Rogerx

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:59:46 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Right now I am harvesting a lot of yellow straight neck squash. I
need to know how to use them up.

If I put slices on a store-bought pizza I am going to cook, do I
need to precook the squash first? The pizza is cooked at 415
degrees F for 16 minutes.

What is the best way to precook squash slices for use in an omelet?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can use up my
squash? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Daniel, Another way we use yellow squash is to make relish out of it,
at least yellow squash is the main ingredient, as well as red and
green bell peppers, and onions.(It is far better than any green tomato
or cucumber relish). It makes the best Hot Dog relish I have ever
eaten, and it is very colorful (Yellow, Red, and Green).

First you grind up 10cups of Yellow Squash, 1 large Carrot, 2 (1green
and 1 red) Belle Pepper and three or 4 onions(medium size). Sprinkle
with 1/4 Cup of Salt. Mix and let set overnight. Drain and wash well
in cool water. Then Drain well.

Mix 4 Cups of sugar, 2.5 cups of Vinegar, and 1 tsp of Nutmeg, 1 tsp
Tumeric, and 1tbl spn Corn Starch. Pour over Vegies and bring to boil
and boil it 30-40 min. Pack in hot sterial jars. Cap then turn jar
upside down for 5 minutes(so they will seal) . No further processing
required. (after about 2 weeks the flavors are blended and it is
"fantastic").

Yellow squash also makes a pretty darn good pickle!

Have a good day Rogerx!