Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Adrian Clark

Default The mint with several holes in it

Hi folks,

First post... glad to see there's a uk gardening NG! Hope you don't mind
me piling in with a question.

I live in the S.London/Surrey suburbs, and noticed today that something
has taken up residence in our mint. The tender leaves at the end of each
shoot are all curled up and deformed. Closer inspection reveals that
they've been made into cocoons. Here's a photo...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianclark/24948449/

There's a few black specks visible on there, possibly eggs? I managed to
find one of the cocoons with something inside it; a tiny green
caterpillar with black speckles. To give you some idea of size, this is
on my little finger (and the photo would have been more in focus if the
little bugger had kept still)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianclark/24948369/

I've tried searching Google (and the archives for URG) for mint pests,
but to no avail. As far as I can tell, the creatures are too long to be
vine weevil larvae, as well as being the wrong colour. Any suggestions
gratefully received...

Adrian