Old 10-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message ws.net
from "Nel" contains these words:

Now, after 4 years living at our current home, we've only just noticed that
a tree in our back garden 'may' be a cherry tree! The tree now stands at
around 10ft and in the spring had white flowers. Now it has what
appears to
be cherries (I daren't try one, just in case!), mostly yellowy green at the
moment but a few at the top are a bright red. For the size of the
tree, the
cherries (if they are) are quite scarce in relation to the leaves.

I'd be interested to know if this is a pleasant suprise, or alternatively
are we going to have to be extra vigilant with our young son if it's
actually some kind of poisonous berry?

I'll try to get a picture or two uploaded somewhere to see if anyone can
help me out, but based on what I've wrote so far, any ideas?

Assuming you're in the UK, and it's deciduous, possibilities include
harmless crab apples, cherry, sorbus, hawthorn species, none of them
poisonous and birds will take most of the fruit as soon as they are
ripe.

Janet.