Old 11-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Steve Harris

In article , (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In my experience, overwintering broad beans is a pretty futile
activity, as at best it produces a crop a fortnight earlier, and it is
as likely to simply waste seed and space. But some people seem to get
it to work.

Yes, it works for me but I'm about 100 miles W of you. My BB season is
very short. Cropping mid-June to mid-July from November, February -
April sowings. I've tried sowing later still but get serious blackfly -
and they were pretty miserable plants anyway.

I see "local grown" broad beans in shops in September and wonder how
they do it. Maybe my garden is too hot and dry.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/