Old 11-07-2005, 03:24 AM
George

"Gill Passman" gillspamattaylorpassmanspam.co.uk wrote in message
.. .

"Roy" wrote in message
I found that to be the case with my fish as well.....My ponds had been
inundated when the stream came up and backflowed into pond and created
a huge large in the field, yard etc of approximately 20 acres in size
I had figured my fish were history and would now be making their new
homes in the stream and river nearby.......but once thw waters went
down they were all present and accounted for. I guess they know a
good thing when they see it......

In a straight line I am less than 75 miles from the gulf coast, so
most all storms that hit there in the pan handle has a pretty good
effect on us as well as we usually still get the hurricane force winds
this far inland, but its certainly not as bad as those directly on the
coast...

I raised my ponds outlet and spillway and built the dam higher since
Ivan hit last year, so I imagine this is gonna be a full operational
check and I will soon see if its high enough. I made it 16" higher
than the water height that came up last year with Ivan........That was
the highest water ever seen here.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:41:07 -0400, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

===The baking soda is for maintaining the KH. Rain water is
generally

fairly
===acid and will cause the KH to fall and subsequently, the pH to

crash.
===Before the storm, I would raise the KH to a value of 300 ppm, and

then check
===after the storm is over and if needed redose. As for other

precautions, if
===you do not have a generator, get from the sporting goods section
of
===wallyworld the bait bucket aerators called big bubbles. They will

run 24 to
===48 hours on one D cell battery. Take care of yourselves, the fish

won't
===have anyone to take care of them if you don't.
===Two years ago, when Isabelle came through here, we had major

flooding. One
===of the pond group had their koi pond submerged by the nearby lake,

about 8
===foot elevation difference. After the lake went back down, all of

the koi
===were hunkered down in the koi pond. None escaped to the big pond.

We were
===without power, except the generator for a week. Thank goodness
for
===generators.

"The original frugal ponder"

Here is hoping all of you came through it OK.....along with your fish
that
are secondary really......

We are lucky living in the UK....we don't get these extremes.....good
luck
for the rest of the season.....

Gill

It's the price we pay for living in paradise. :-)