Old 11-07-2005, 03:05 PM
salgud

Ray wrote:
You're not really growing in "water culture," so don't try to follow those
guides. Doing so would mean the entire root system was submerged -
everything below the normal planting depth for a phal. You're just growing
in sphagnum, but in a very unusual pot and configuration, one that is there
for aesthetics, not for the benefit of the plant.

Personally, I'd break the glass and pot it up normally. The current setup
is really not the best for the plant.

Are you sure that the wire is metallic? There is a strand in the middle of
an orchid root - the vascular tube, if I recall correctly - that is very
durable and hangs around when the rest of the root has rotted away. Maybe
that's what you're seeing.

Yes, it's definitely metallic. It's about 6" long, way to straight to
be organic, and rusting below the waterline. It's a piece of wire! No
mistaking it.