Old 11-07-2005, 01:25 PM
mike. buckley

In message , Ted
writes
to continue the discussion on fruitless trees.

My tree which I think is about 4 or 5 years old had lemons on it when I was
given it as a present (September time). Since then ziltch. With very little
knowledge on these I watered it every other day and give it citrus feed
every 2 weeks. This went on for a year or so and still no flowers/fruit. The
plant looked in a poor way.

About 2 months ago I decided to stop watering and feeding it plus we
recently moved it to the warmest place outside the front of the house. Now
not only do we have 7 flowers growing rapidly but new leaf shoots are
popping up from base of the stem to the top branches.

As said before I believe you must treat these plants as they would in their
home environment, very lean on water and the warmest of places.

Fingers crossed for Xmas lemons.

Well done. Unfortunately a recent orange tree we've been given as a
present has not been so fortunate. In good health (although a smallish
pot) when we got hold of it, we've managed to just about kill it in 2
weeks :-(

It's sat in our south facing conservatory, which hits an easy 45 degrees
with the current weather, and it's been watered twice in that time, and
had one dose of some citrus feed we bought from the NEC show. All the
leaves have dropped off and the small fruits are shrivelling slightly.
It's also been put outside a couple of times when the conservatory has
been really hot (south facing patio, 30+degrees)

We've not over watered (been very careful of this having googled) and
it's not sat in standing water either.

Tempted to buy another couple to prove we can get one to survive!

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2