Old 10-11-2002, 03:42 PM
JennyC

Default passionflowers & overwintering

"Janna" wrote
Hi everyone,

I have produced 2 passionflower climbers from seed this year and

they are
romped away to at least 8 feet although they haven't flowered yet.

As an
inexperienced gardener I am very proud them and am hoping to keep

them alive
over the winter in the hope they will survive and produce lovely

flowers
next year.

I hoped that someone would give me some advice about winter

protection for
them. They are in a south-facing garden in the Midlands, climbing

up
against a fence. One of the plants has grown up into next doors

holly tree.

I have bought some bubble wrap but am not sure of the best way to

use it, as
I'm worried that if wrapped to tightly that dampness may prove a

problem.
Also, is the root area more important than the top growth, as

obviously it
will be difficult to wrap the whole of the plant?

Many thanks for any advice given to help me keep them alive!!

Hi Janna,

If they are 'ordinary' Caerulea type passionflowers, they will
probably be ok outside.
Leave the top growth in place. You can always tidy it up next spring
before it starts growing again.

You might want to protect the roots with some form of insulation, like
leaves, straw, or fleece. Fleece lets does not cause damp to build up
like bubble wrap will.

Most other types of passionflower will need a frost free place for the
winter.

Jenny