Old 10-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Tumbleweed

Default passionflowers & overwintering

"Janna" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have produced 2 passionflower climbers from seed this year and they are
romped away to at least 8 feet although they haven't flowered yet. As an
inexperienced gardener I am very proud them and am hoping to keep them

alive
over the winter in the hope they will survive and produce lovely flowers
next year.

I hoped that someone would give me some advice about winter protection for
them. They are in a south-facing garden in the Midlands, climbing up
against a fence. One of the plants has grown up into next doors holly

tree.

I have bought some bubble wrap but am not sure of the best way to use it,

as
I'm worried that if wrapped to tightly that dampness may prove a problem.
Also, is the root area more important than the top growth, as obviously it
will be difficult to wrap the whole of the plant?

Many thanks for any advice given to help me keep them alive!!

I'm only 100 miles S of you (Reading). I have one growing against some
trellis, and my neighbour against a brick wall, both in the soil, not pots,
both N facing, both of us just leave them.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)