Old 11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Rak" wrote in message

I have loads of fry in my pond -I think 2 different lots as the size is
so variable and also noticed the very young fry on 2 different
occasions. I have 2 female fish and one male so I guess they are from
both females. I didn't do anything with the fry as everyone advised
they would never survive, anyway I wasn't trying to increase stock.

** Why would they not survive if you water quality is good? Some will
manage to survive even in a pond with almost no plants to hide in.

Now
I'm worried that too many are surviving. The biggest are well over 1
inch long now and some starting to turn a bluey colour like their
subumkin mum. Have they got too big to be food for parents now?

** Once they come out of hiding and swim around my ponds they are too big to
be eaten. I think they sense this at some point.

And
what at what size are they likely to become an over stocking problem? I
reckon I have at least 100 - a couple of months old now!

** Not knowing anything about your pond and it's filtration system I don't
think anyone can say. If the water quality remains OK then you're probably
not overstocked - yet. Since we drain and clean our ponds at the least
every 2 years, we don't have much of an overstocking problem. I have always
found buyers for my excess fish plus a farmer who takes the culls for his
stock pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b