Old 11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Broadback

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
simoncorrigan writes:

| Hi not sure if these are anything to worry about but has a small garden
| at the front of our house with a grave driveway. In the last couple of
| days have noticed small holes appearing in the soil and a large number
| of wasp like insects. The bodies are very slimilar in colour but the
| abdomen is flater than a wasps - and they are not as aggressive as
| wasps. They hover very low to the ground. They seem fairly dozy and
| don't appear to attack when you try to get rid of them. Firstly are
| they wasps, if not what are they and how do I get rid of them!!!

Well, they are wasps, but I suggest NOT getting rid of them!

There are a few species of wasp in the UK that can cause trouble
(mostly in genus Vespa), but hundreds of other species. Some
don't even HAVE stings! Your description makes it pretty clear
that they won't bother you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

These sound very much like a very large "colony" that I have. I left
them alone, and am glad I did, the birds love them. I've even had a
pair of woodpeckers gorging themselves.

--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.