Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
JennyC

"michael adams" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
I was wondering whether any URGlers have experience of keeping cacti in a
polytunnel?

Any info regarding ventilation, heating in winter etc would be good.
--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

If your question is - is it a good idea to devote years to
cultivating a wonderful and varied collection of choice cacti
which I will only be able to overwinter in a polytunnel, in a
region where the winter temperatures can fall below zero and where
it would be truly devastating for me to find large numbers of my
choicest 10 year old specimens turned to mush - simply as a result
of one really untypical cold snap, then the answer is probably no.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,, The loacation will be the Dordogne in France (if the house sale
goes through!)
It seems to be sligthly milder there than either the UK or Holland.

I have a glass GH at the moment, but was wondering whether a Polytunnel would
surfice until I can get myself organised properly (i'm not sure yet about
building restrictions as the house is in an area under monument rules)

possibility of moisture dripping onto the plants.

Right. hadn't thought of that.

Different authorities will give different answers as to the winter
hardiness of different species of cacti.

Photo's og my collection at: http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/Plantscacti.htm

Others such as Gordon Rowley have conducted their own
experiments overwintering various species of cacti and
succulents outdoors in the garden.
His findings which are more anecdotal than scientific tie in
with other work.

Are these on line ?
I'm a great fan of his :~))

Some species of opuntias for instance are surprisingly frost hardy -

Yes. Got one of those outside. It survives, but is not a thing of great beuaty.

.....- the only way to really find out might be the hard way.
michael adams

Ummmm. Perhaps not such a good idea after all :~(
Jenny