Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
ned

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
simoncorrigan writes:

| Hi not sure if these are anything to worry about but has a small

garden
| at the front of our house with a grave driveway. In the last

couple of
| days have noticed small holes appearing in the soil and a large

number
| of wasp like insects. The bodies are very slimilar in colour but

the
| abdomen is flater than a wasps - and they are not as aggressive

as
| wasps. They hover very low to the ground. They seem fairly dozy

and
| don't appear to attack when you try to get rid of them. Firstly

are
| they wasps, if not what are they and how do I get rid of them!!!

Well, they are wasps,

.......... ah, well, not necessarily. :-))
There are several bees, sawflies and hoverflies that are very
wasp-like.
e.g.
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/bees.html#Nomada

But, that apart, I'd endorse Mr MacLaren's response. :-))

........but I suggest NOT getting rid of them!

There are a few species of wasp in the UK that can cause trouble
(mostly in genus Vespa), but hundreds of other species. Some
don't even HAVE stings! Your description makes it pretty clear
that they won't bother you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--