Old 11-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Took years for me to recover from the dreadful food.
I can even eat curry now, despite the aversion therapy due to the
stuff they
served under that name.

I don't remember that the food was exceptionally bad (in the prep,
anyway) but there was never enough of it.

Post war rationing presumably changed one's perceptions ;-)

I suppose I was rather lucky in that post war, we kept hens, and so did
a grandmother: the latter did it on a small commercial scale and her
next-door neighbour was a grocer...

My SO to this day finds sweet things hard to tolerate since his mother
routinely switched his 'sweets allowance' to sugar to make jam which she
then sold.

I remember sweets being a rare treat, and 'tuck' being on the ration
until - when - 1951? I can't stand tea with sugar in - and I don't like
coffee, which is why I didn't lump it in with tea.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/