Old 11-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Jenny

Default Update on my Chionoides Rhododendrons

Back several months ago I posted about my miserable rhododendrons. Just
about every leaf had been eaten by a bug and I was contemplating pulling
them out.

The diagnosis was root weevils.

I ended up giving them a monthly spray of Isotox, a systemic poison
whose label was completely terrifying. I used the long pants, eye
protection, respirator etc, but still wasn't real happy about it.

The good news is that the bushes put out new foliage this spring which
has matured without a single bug bite anywhere. They look great! I'm
treating my other azaleas with the Isotox now (Blaaw's Pink and
Rosebud), as their new foliage got munched up as soon as they finished
flowering.

I hate having to use this kind of poison but it seems to be what it
takes to keep plants alive around our house's foundation which is
looking like the set for filming "The Very Hungry Catepillar"

Everything else in the garden is going great guns except for the roses.
You guys weren't kidding when you said they were a deer's favorite
food. They ate every single bud off my two roses!