Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Tumbleweed

"ned" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
simoncorrigan writes:

| Hi not sure if these are anything to worry about but has a small

garden
| at the front of our house with a grave driveway. In the last

couple of
| days have noticed small holes appearing in the soil and a large

number
| of wasp like insects. The bodies are very slimilar in colour but

the
| abdomen is flater than a wasps - and they are not as aggressive

as
| wasps. They hover very low to the ground. They seem fairly dozy

and
| don't appear to attack when you try to get rid of them. Firstly

are
| they wasps, if not what are they and how do I get rid of them!!!

Well, they are wasps,

......... ah, well, not necessarily. :-))
There are several bees, sawflies and hoverflies that are very
wasp-like.
e.g.
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/bees.html#Nomada

But, that apart, I'd endorse Mr MacLaren's response. :-))

my mother has several hundred similar looking insects on her well drained
sandy lawn. They seem to each live in a solitary burrow. I beleive from
looking at them, that they are bees not wasps.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com