Old 11-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Sacha

On 24/6/05 21:04, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Glen Able contains these words:

Mike Lyle wrote:
Ann Heanes wrote:

GlacierHi
Can anyone tell me why a farmer would be growing a field of

white
poppies? It was a lovely sight but what would the harvest be?
Annie

Well, at Reading U you're in the best possible place in the

country
to get the answer! It sounds like an opium poppy:

Aren't the flowers of opium poppy a dirty-pink colour? Or am I
dazed and confused ? :~}

That's strong stuff you've got, Janet! Replying on nothing but beer,
I'll say opium poppy flowers vary a lot, even in the species: you do
get white ones. The uniform colour of those the OP saw is what
suggested a cultivar to me.

Coming back to this rather late - my step daughter drove up to Stonehenge
last night and said there was a huge field of white poppies, stretching as
far as the eye could see. None of us know why such a vast quantity of white
poppies is being grown but in that number, it must be as a crop, surely?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk