Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Andy Petro

What is a Wall o' Water. I never heard of it.

"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote in message
.. .
Okay, I admit it. I cheat with Wall o' Water !. I actually didn't take
them off during the hot spell in June. I just made sure they were opened
up so the plants wouldn't cook. I have a few tomato plants in large pots
and used the walls on them as well and, once the walls were balanced (I
didn't fill all the holes), they worked beautifully.

I took off most of the walls a about three weeks ago but one actually came
off last week. i have been using them for years and am always the first
one in the neighbourhood with tomatoes. The red ones seem to work the
best except that they disintegrate faster than the clear ones ( flimsier
plastic).

And, of course, everything has been overly mulched this year b/c of the
lack of rain. We haven't had rain in this neighbourhood for over a
month...

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
What is your secret with tomatoes. I live in Kitchener not far from you
and
i only have a few small green tomatoes so far. It will be another month
before they are ripe . Do you use black plastic or anything special. ?

"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote in message
Yes way, we can.

I live in Toronto and I had my first ripe tomato on July 7( two days
ago). I started them from seed too.(in mid March , I believe. Normal
time). And this one isn't even advertised as being an early tomato(
Bloody Butcher, heritage variety). There is another one ready to be
picked tomorrow. I have also started picking the currant tomatoes( 2 so
far). The weather has been disgustingly hot but the tomatoes are loving
it.

Sally

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
. ..
You should always state what part of the world or state you are in. For
instance i live in Canada and no way can we have red tomatoes that
early.

"GA Pinhead" wrote in message
Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of
July 4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of
big green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of
course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last
year.

John! in NE GA US