Old 11-11-2002, 05:34 AM
Hussein M.

Default Elaeagnus x ebbingei banquet?

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:52:03 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I've seen before, some very questionable horticultural "information"
from the same website, re what plants could be developed as food sources
in the UK. It has appeared to me that someone with not much
horticultural experience of growing crops/plants in average UK
conditions, has presented second hand crop research drawn mainly from
continental climates, without fully realising why our mild wet high
latitude climate is not advantageous to crops which need high light
levels or long dry warm summers to ripen. Their pages on quinoa are an
example, (and the advice on quinoa's "preferred" soil growing conditions
is nonsensically garbled).

Hi Janet,

Plants for a Future do actually grow plants you know! So, much of
their information is, wherever possible, verified empirically.

Their "field" is however situated in Cornwall but they freely admit
accessions to this more clement situation. They do also keep tabs on
what is flourishing in various gardens up and down the country.

Respect

Hussein