Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Dwayne

In fact, a lot of people I know, use their finger to get the earth away from
the onions to expose them to the sun.

Dwayne

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Bob Hobden wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote
::: do onions need earthing up?
::: Mine all seem to be trying to climb out of the ground for some

reason! -
::: the
::: tops are 18 inch high and the bulbs are about 2 inch diameter.
:::
::
:: I take it you haven't grown them before 'cause that's what they do,

it's
:: normal, they grow and swell above ground once they have their roots

down.

I've not grown them before but now I know, I'll earth them up

tomorrow...on
a slightly related note, my garlic seem to be getting tall lately, are

they
trying to 'bolt'?...they are in a greenhouse due to outside space
restrictions and they've never looked happy from day one, unlike my

chilli
plants which are immense.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

No. Don't earth them up. Phil. never suggested that you do that. Leave
the onion grow naturally so that only its base is in contact with the
soil.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.