Old 12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

JB wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:38:58 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

I was pleased to discover that we have birds nesting in our copper
beech tree this year.
Are there any sites with pictures and names to assist identification?
The parents look like what I would call doves. Light silver grey
plumage all over. Size a bit smaller than a pigeon and rather more
elegant IMO. Anyone help with positive ID please?

Collar doves perhaps?

They're 'collared doves' and they're not grey, they're pink(ish) (see
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/c...dove/index.asp). What our
friend has there is a stock dove (/Columba oenas/). See the RSPB description
here (http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/s...dove/index.asp). As to what
they sound like, well I can only describe it as an asthmatic owl.