Old 12-07-2005, 04:45 PM

"Ending just before dawn.

Why? If you water during the day, more water is lost to evaporation
before
it even hits the grass. If you water after sunset, some moisture
remains on
the blades for too long, and you could encourage fungal problems.

That leaves just before dawn. Less water evaporates as part of the
sprinkling process, and water that makes it to the blades, but doesn't
make
it to the soil can evaporate quickly, and not provide a place for
fungus to
multiply. '"

I agree. Lots of people say not to water at night, as wet grass
promtoes disease and fungus. However, I think this is mostly nonsense.
AFter all, it rains at night doesn't it? I think you could safely
water at night, as long as it's like every 4-7 days and giving it about
an inch. I think the night watering problems come from people who are
watering it every night, and with only enough water to get it wet.
That is wrong, wheneve you do it.

I do mine exactly as Warren suggest, having it end around dawn or
shortly after. That minimizes evaporation and the time the lawn is
wet.