Old 12-07-2005, 08:08 PM
bob campbell

Default Avoiding 'broken top' redwoods using sacrifice branches?

Hello:

Yet another dumb idea from the guy who thought he could grow potensai in
Fresno/Visalia unattended. (btw - I appreciate all the good advice, someone
could have sold me a lot of trees before I figured out that it would not work)

So this idea is:

Top the tree, use a branch behind for the apex and a side branch wired back
across the trunk to hide the chop scar. Pretty standard technique. Next, since
these bud back so well, allow a branch on the back of the tree - about 1/3 to
1/2 of the way up to grow and grow and grow while keeping the apex pinched
back. The sacrifice should over time start to form a new apex and give me even
more taper. When I'm ready to show the tree I remove the sacrifice branch. When
I'm done showing the tree, I grow another sacrifice branch and repeat.

I read this group on usenet but emails are welcome if you prefer.

Many thanks for all the tips over the years,
bob campbell
zone 7 - nor-cal between the bay and the hills