Old 12-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Phil" contains these words:

My local council have recently planted a Tulip Tree or Yellow Poplar
(Liriodendron Tulipifera) about 30 feet from my house.

Poplar is something quite different from tulip tree, and would be
exceedingly worrying as a new planting 30 ft from a house. It's fast,
very robust (aka vandal-proof) and cheap.

Tulip trees are relatively expensive and don't flower for many years
until they get quite mature so to my way of thinking would be a rather
unusual choice for a council to buy/plant....from a theft/vandal
standpoint too. I've never heard it referred to as yellow poplar, so if
that's what the council calls it, I'd be suspicious you've got the first
one. But it hardly matters which it is. I wouldn't want any big fast
municipal tree to be planted only 30 ft from my house because this area
is now experiencing more frequent, more violent gales, as predicted by
climate experts. My insurers ask questions about nearby trees.

You'll probably find that your buildings insurance company takes the
same view. If you have that handy little clause in your contract about
"free legal support", now is the time to make use of it. I doubt if any
council is going to persist in defiance of an insurer's letter warning
of risk and liability.

Janet.