Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Marty Haber

The best way to help an Acer p. recover from scars is to keep it healthy.
The healthier the tree, the faster it grows. The faster it grows the faster
it heals. I had to remove two large branches from one of my maples ( large
ones). The first growing season after the cuts, scabs formed all around the
wounds. In 3 years thereafter, the scabs completely covered the wounds, and
today, the only sign of the damage is a thin line where the scabs met in
the center of the wounds. These trees are very resilient if given
sufficient sun, nutrients and water.
Marty Haber