Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after Bob Hobden asked about it ((snip)):

There is one slight problem. Campsis is like ivy - it has long, thin
shoots that climb high while it is attached to a wall or tree trunk,
and bushes out and flowers when it starts to waggle in the breeze.
Do the books say this? Like hell, they do.

I'd noticed that on those few I've seen. Top heavy growth so to speak.
Delicate/carefull pruning should also help. (I've just given myself a job
!!!) :-(

It isn't a major problem, if you know it, because you can nail the
slats diagonally and train the stems up the slats. But, if you don't
do that, it won't grow the way you expect.

Good suggestion, thanks Nick.

However, to check: the soil IS free-draining, isn't it? I don't
think that Campsis can take poor drainage.

Good silt/clay loam, drainage isn't a problem usually around here as we are
over gravel beds. More plants die of draught than too much water here
(unless the Thames floods!) :-)

There are, of course, lots of other suitable climbers, including
Clematis armandii. But Campsis is spectacular, as you say, given
the right conditions.

They will appreciate something spectacular, and dare I say , unusual, in
that position.

Jenny, I appreciate it isn't evergreen but the problem is mainly a summer
one which is when my neighbours will use their patio most. That said, the
stems look pretty thickly intertwined on the ones I've seen so there will be
some winter privacy too.

--
Regards
Bob