Old 11-11-2002, 08:59 PM
DaveDay34

Default leaf mould

Make sure they are kept wet, and if you can persuade anyone to pee on them,
then that woould be good too, I'm sure - more for entertainment than
anything else, mind.

Chris S

Peeing on the leaves is a way of adding urea to the leaves as well as making
them moist. The leaves break down quicker if they are wet because
bacteria/fungi don't like to be too dry. Bacteria use up nitrates (nitrogen)
when they break down vegetable matter into compost so adding urea adds nitrates
which feeds the bacteria and speeds up the decomposition process.

I hope this explains a few things and is helpful. Happy composting.

Dave.