Old 13-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Cereus-validus.......

It would be best if you think really hard and remember where you put that
mystery box and post that digicam picture really soon.

"looks rather like a cross between a pansy and a hollyhock, with maybe a
touch of snapdragon" really doesn't help.

"DrLith" wrote in message
Ok, it's my turn for the plant ID game! I'm afraid I don't have a picture
to post, because the connector cable to the digicam is still packed in a
mystery box somewhere.

Anyhow, it is a pretty flowering plant (almost certainly a perennial) a
few blocks down the street...about 30" tall, bearing 1" flowers that look
quite "viola-like" in purple with white. The flowers are born on a long
spike, close in to the stem--rather like a hollyhock, except the flowers
look nothing like hollyhocks. The leaves average 2-4", lanceolate, lightly
crenolated, in opposing pairs. The plant as a whole branches into multiple
spikes, also in opposing pairs.

I've never seen it before, and I've got a reasonable knowledge of common
perennials. If anyone can identify this thing--which looks rather like a
cross between a pansy and a hollyhock, with maybe a touch of snapdragon in
the mix (yes, I know such a thing is not possible--that's just what it
looks like!), I'd be grateful.