Old 11-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Musings on Compost Heaps (and the things you find in them)

Hi All,

Having excavated and remade my compost heap at the weekend, I was
pondering on a number of items.

1) The sheer weight of the d*mn stuff! My compost only seems to come in
two varieties - heavy and heavier! (All varieties seem to be wet, muddy
and somewhat clayish...)

2)The number of garden tools a compost heap can "vanish". I suspected my
garden scissors were in the heap as of a few of weeks ago, and sure
enough I found them. What suprised me was the fact my favourite hand fork
was in the heap (admittadbly it had only been there a week!). Oh well, I
should be grateful I found them.

3) The quantity of wildlife in the heap. Worms (garden and brandling/tiger
- either that or the small bright red ones were baby garden worms),
beetles, woodlice, snails etc..

4) And why is it, 30 seconds after you think, "Oh, I hope there aren't any
frogs in the heap" and 1/2 way through the compost heap you promptly go
and find one with the end of the fork....
On a slightly happier note, I found another 3 frogs before the fork got to
them, and persuaded them they didn't want to be in the compost heap.

And 5) Why is my compost heap already 1/3 - 1/2 full again allready!!!

Sarah