Old 13-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Aquiles Marcano

Default [IBC] gummy leaves on azalea

I have an azalea that has been flowering all year around. This past month stopped flowering and I started prunning since it has developed a strong foliage that even though beautiful, compites somehow with the flowers. In the process of pruning I have noticed that some leaves have developed a kind of sticky substance that is annoying to touch. There are also some white tiny bugs that fly when disturbed but don't leave the tree and live in clusters. Some of the leaves have also began to get dirty which I believe is due to the sticky substance. I did some prunning but not as extensive as I have read and being taught should be done in azaleas after flowering. The tree has been in a glass covered patio for six years, very lighted with partially indirect sunlight, even though depending of the time of the year, gets some direct sun light thru the glass roof.
The tree is 60 cm. high (2 ft), some 75 cm. wide (3ft) with a canopy resembling broom style rather flatter. An 8 cm thick trunk (3" plus). By the way in this interior patio I have the trees I most like and some other tropical companion plants.
Location: Caracas at 1300 meters of altitude (some 3900 plus ft) average temperature 20C
Story told, some advice? Should I prune it radically? Anything about the sticky gummy stuff? and/or the white tiny bugs?
Thanks for your time
Aquiles Marcano

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++