Old 13-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Toni

"chairchair" wrote in message
oups.com...
With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous
Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on cats.
I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone know? Where
could I find out?

DE is safe for getting rid of fleas "on premesis".
It should never be *applied on* kittens, cats, dogs, or any other animal.
Especially animals who constantly lick themselves. At six weeks just use a
mild flea shampoo *formulated for use on kittens*.

With kittens and cats it is vitally important to use only products that
specifically state "safe for use on cats and kittens".
I would concentrate on cleaning up the premesis, using Frontline on any
older animals (like the mother cat) and treating the kittens the moment they
are old enough- usually eight weeks unless they are terribly debilitated by
flea infestation.

You will of course need to see a vet for your attendant tapeworms. It may
take you some time to get these babies back up to good health following such
a rocky start.

--
Toni
South Florida USA