Old 13-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Phil

Thanks Janet. What a wonderful idea about contacting the insurance company.
So good that I contacted my buildings insurance. They were helpful but they
said they were not in a position to get involved. Their best advice so far
is to contact a tree surgeon for local advice on the size of the tree and
its possible problems. If I am struggling to get anywhere, I will see if I
can invoke my legal expenses part of the policy (knowing insurance companies
there will no doubt be exclusions).

I found the popular name for the Tulip Tree on the web (see
www.parks.ox.ac.uk/introduction). The Latin name is correct and I have
checked the leaf pattern and it matches. So I am confident that I have the
correct tree. According to the local council, it takes about 20 years to
grow to full maturity.

I also thought it was a strange choice by the council especially as there
was a lovely Hawthorn tree there before it was blown over. They seemed to
have planted it by default as they had some in stock. I see what you mean
about theft. I have looked at the price of these trees on the web and they
cost over £100.

Phil

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Phil" contains these words:

My local council have recently planted a Tulip Tree or Yellow Poplar
(Liriodendron Tulipifera) about 30 feet from my house.

Poplar is something quite different from tulip tree, and would be
exceedingly worrying as a new planting 30 ft from a house. It's fast,
very robust (aka vandal-proof) and cheap.

Tulip trees are relatively expensive and don't flower for many years
until they get quite mature so to my way of thinking would be a rather
unusual choice for a council to buy/plant....from a theft/vandal
standpoint too. I've never heard it referred to as yellow poplar, so if
that's what the council calls it, I'd be suspicious you've got the first
one. But it hardly matters which it is. I wouldn't want any big fast
municipal tree to be planted only 30 ft from my house because this area
is now experiencing more frequent, more violent gales, as predicted by
climate experts. My insurers ask questions about nearby trees.

You'll probably find that your buildings insurance company takes the
same view. If you have that handy little clause in your contract about
"free legal support", now is the time to make use of it. I doubt if any
council is going to persist in defiance of an insurer's letter warning
of risk and liability.

Janet.