Old 13-07-2005, 09:58 PM
NeoMorph NeoMorph is offline
Registered User

I've had decent results with my B&Q drip system but whoever said that drippers don't drip at the same rate are bang on target. Some drip while others spurt. I tend to use the drippers for smaller pots and spurters for larger pots and my raised beds.

There is one thing that went wrong with my system though. My neighbours border turned into a soggy clay quagmire because of my excess water draining to the lowest point. Even with the watering system off there was water dribbling through the fence.

The reason for this is that my garden is all raised beds and pots sitting on a courtyard of white chippings. Under the chippings is sheets of landscaping material to stop weeds and that sits on a layer of sand over the thick clay soil. The sand was to even out the surface as trying to even out the clay was a nightmare. Unfortunately what I had created was a huge sand table that stores the excess water and then constantly feeds it into next doors garden...

Ooops!

I'm having to do two things to try and solve this problem... One is creating a soakaway and the other is make a concrete barrier between my garden and my neighbours. The concrete wall will be buried under the chippings when I've finished and will hopefully send the excess water down. I've also reduced the time to the minimum the plants need (which was a lot of trial and error) so hopefully this will help.

(and I saw what turning the automatic system off and forgetting about it caused today... An entire garden of very upset plants. So I can see how much help the automatic system I put in this year has done to make my garden the best it's been in ages!).

John H