Old 14-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Reel Mckoi

"cbbode" wrote in message
A fish has simply disappeared. Earlier (a few weeks ago) one of my
fish died and I found it floating on the surface. The remaining fish
are very active, not spooked, and doing well. I have also noticed a
few very small fish in the pond that can only be offspring as I did not
add them to the population.

My question is: Do fish always float to the surface when they die? Do
some fish simply not feed and stay on the bottom out of sight for days?

I have always found dead fish and expired frogs floated to the surface,
probably from the internal gas of decomposition. Herons may not be your
only problem. We have herons, cranes, snapper turtles, water snakes and
bullfrogs who were cleaning out our ponds. In desperation to have fish, we
finally gave in and netted them both.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b