Old 14-07-2005, 03:19 AM
George

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
I was curious. I have had my pond up since March. 15x15 and 4 ft deep. 3½
x9 4 ft settlement chamber/filter filled with media. 3 bottom drains.
About 8 medium Koi in it. Coast of Ga. MY water won't clear. It stays
green looking. I don't know if its because its so hot here and I have a
lot of trees.
Fish seem happy. Friend got this koi clay and said hers cleared up. Was
wondering if it would do any good or just leave my pond alone and hope it
clears.
Just have water lettuce and a couple hyantchs. ms
Got a couple water lilies but since I can't see the bottom am afraid to
get in. I did catch 2 big snapping turtles and relocated them.
Got a frog sanctuary out there. Toads and Frog haven.
Priss

Try using some aquazyme on a regular basis and see if that helps. How much
water flow do you have? Also, you should regularly clean out your
settlement filter if it is building up a lot of detritis. And if you have
room, add some more aquatic plants, like lillies and miniature cattails.

" George" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
Is calcium bentonite clay finely ground and sold at excessively high
prices...........to ponders as a miricle cure all for ponds and fish.
I am not argueing it may have benefits, but the price certainly is not
even close in line with what you can buy a 50 or 100 pound bag of
calcium bentonite clay for, from a foundry supply, or feed mill
for......The jopker on Ebay is probably doing just that, and only
needs to sell one bag of the stuff and his 100 pound sack is paid for
in full.....Even with shipping, the cost of a 50# bag is still cheaper
10 times over than buying packaged koi clay and paying the price
gouging prices.

You can get a 100lbs bag of bentonite at an industrial pump or drilling
supply company for about $6-10/bag. Do a search on whitepages.com for
one or both of these businesses in your area, then call them and check
on availability. They also make it in pellets, which is much easier to
use, but a bit more expensive. The other advantage of pellets is that
they come in 5-gallon buckets that are resealable.