Old 13-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Anthony Anson
wrote:
The message from Jim Lesurf
contains these words:

I'd like to try two things:

1) On a 'Gardener's World' programme on BBC a few weeks ago they
showed in passing some staples for fixing membrane to the ground. Our
local garden center has never heard of them. So can someone give
contact details for where I can buy some of these (or an equivalent)
but post?

Buy some fencing wire from an ironmonger or DIY place. Cut into lengths
- how long depends how soft your ground is. Bend it into |ŻŻ| shape and
press into the ground through the membrane round the edge.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll have a look for something like that.
:-)

2) I'd like to replace the cocoa mulch with something heaver. e.g.
pebbles around 20mm diameter. Again, our local garden center has none.
So can someone recommend a source where I can buy these buy post?

Post? POST? Have you any idea how much that would cost?

Erm... 1st class stamp. The idea is that I post the order+cheque, and
then...

Most builders' merchants deliver.

...they deliver to my order. :-)

I was hoping that some garden suppliers would have a decent range, buyable
in small amounts via post. However perhaps I should also phone any local
merchants as you say, and see if they can help. I only want to cover a few
square metres.

The annoying thing is that I'll have to clear away all the coca mulch
before I can refix the membrane, etc. Load of expletive work because our
local 'cats' are deaf, have no sense of smell, and are a PITA. Annoying
that the ultrasonic scared was useless... Waste of effort tidying the area
when I installed it. The next morning I found the damage was done again
overnight.

Alas, the tiny potentilla plants in particular get their leaves covered and
buried. The leaves then rot. The cocoa mulch seems successful elsewhere,
but that is where I have taller plants, so can use a deeper layer of mulch
and the plants have their leaves too high to be covered if a cat throws
mulch about.

The odd thing is that the cat doesn't leave a present as the mix of folded
membrane and mulch seem to put it off. But every night it has another try.
Stupid as well as deaf and no sense of smell...

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html