Old 14-07-2005, 09:44 AM
JW

Bob Hobden wrote:

Campsis radicans, the "Trumpet Vine".
Anyone growing them?
I ask as a neighbour needs something up to about 10ft max to give some
privacy to their patio from a neighbour who has recently had an extension
with a 1st floor veranda. I was thinking of banging in some tall poles then
joining them across with wire or wood slats to make a frame and letting a
couple of Trumpet Vines in different colours (red & yellow) do their work.
Their garden faces South and is a sun trap so the vines should grow and
flower well and look spectacular.
Comments on my suggestion welcome.

Get a good cultivar .
We have a straight C.radicans or possibly a 'common' cultivar that mum
planted in the S facing front garden probably about 15 years back. I
beleive it was from woolworths.

It has now taken up most of the front garden/wall.. Flowers are minimal.
It flowers at the ends of growth so needs room for its long long
tendrils.

It is what I would class as a 'rampant climber' in the same way as H.
helix species. Be wary of where you plant. It suckers and is deep
rooted. It will easily make the 10 foot ++++

Currently listed as a plant to treat with 'respect'...

JimW
--
Plants etc on Ebay
Check it out