Old 14-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Sacha

On 14/7/05 9:13, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Am I right in thinking that infundibuliformis means "funnel-shaped"? The
girolles that I've seen on sale in France have certainly been
funnel-shaped.

So what are the very tiny, nail (builders, not finger) shaped ones that I've
eaten in France - yellow, round top.

The all-yellow one is (I think) the chanterelle, while the more common
greyish-buff one with the yellow top is the chanterelle grise.

In France, what in England is called a chanterelle is called a 'girolle'.

I first became aware of this when I was rather miffed to find that the
'chanterelles' in the woodland fungi mixture I'd bought from Tesco
wasn't what I was expecting, and were your clout-shaped ones you
mention, so before kicking up a fuss I asked about it on
alt.nature.mushrooms and was put right.

I'm now very confused but better informed. Thanks!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk