Old 14-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Sacha

On 14/7/05 10:02, in article , "David
Rance" wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 Sacha wrote:

Do you have farmers markets, Sacha? or a WI market? Mushroom
"Wildpickers" often go to them I've also seen courgette flowers for
sale at a farmer's market near our old place.

There's a market in Totnes every week and one in Buckfastleigh but I've
never seen anyone selling those. I'll ask around next time I go to it. I'd
love to find them.

I would love to be able to go out and pick my own mushrooms but I don't
think I (or my wife) would ever have the confidence to know which are
the good ones. I've got illustrated books on the subject but I would
still rather not risk it.

David

I feel rather the same. But in France there are all those dear little
herbalist and chemist shops with signs up saying they identify fungi for
you! Can't you use one of those? And I think there used to be a belief that
if you put a silver sixpence in with the cooking fungi and it went green,
one or some of them were poisonous! Of course, nowadays, finding your
silver sixpence would be the hardest part!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk