Old 14-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I first became aware of this when I was rather miffed to find that the
'chanterelles' in the woodland fungi mixture I'd bought from Tesco
wasn't what I was expecting, and were your clout-shaped ones you
mention, so before kicking up a fuss I asked about it on
alt.nature.mushrooms and was put right.

I'm now very confused but better informed. Thanks!

To clarify the muddied waters, in France the chanterelle is Cantharellus
infundibuliformis. There are two variants, an all-yellow one and a grey
and yellow one.

The grey and yellow one is 'chanterelle grise', from which I interpolate
that the yellow one should be 'chanterelle'.

The French call Cantharellus cibarius 'girolle'. In Britain, it is
called 'chanterelle'.

I presume therefore, that since the common name is French, the British
use of it has been applied to the wrong mushroom.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/