Old 14-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I feel rather the same. But in France there are all those dear little
herbalist and chemist shops with signs up saying they identify fungi for
you! Can't you use one of those? And I think there used to be a belief that
if you put a silver sixpence in with the cooking fungi and it went green,
one or some of them were poisonous! Of course, nowadays, finding your
silver sixpence would be the hardest part!

Or a silver teaspoon. And it's supposed to turn black.

However, BE WARNED! It's an old wives' tale.

*NO* poisonous or edible mushrom found in this country will blacken
silver, but an egg will...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/